The Larkin District has been undergoing a renaissance due to the redevelopment and revitalization of its buildings and streets. For generations the neighborhood has been home to businesses and residences.
Starting in 1827, “The Hydraulics”, as it was known at the time, took off as the center for business and commerce in Buffalo. The growth of the district continued with the founding of the Larkin Soap Company in 1876.
In recent times, many of the warehouses and buildings have been redeveloped and repurposed into multi-use spaces for commercial office, residential, restaurants and light manufacturing.
Starting in 2002, the Larkin Development Group has been at the forefront of the revitalization of the district, more affectionately referred to as Larkinville.
Through the initiatives of Larkin Development in partnership with First Niagara Bank, new streets, lights, signage and plantings have been implemented along Van Rensselaer and Seneca Streets. Additional projects have included the transformation of the Larkin U Building into commercial office space, the Schaefer Building into mixed-use office and residential space along with the Hydraulic Hearth restaurant and Larkin Square adding to the entertainment mix in Larkinville.
Today, Larkinville is thriving with the opening of breweries, distilleries, restaurants, public event spaces, office buildings and newly converted loft-style apartments in addition to being the home of Buffalo Fire Station ladder 5/Engine 32. Future opportunities include shovel-ready sites for new development along with historic buildings ready for redevelopment.